Sunday, November 15, 2009

Here we go

Well now I have settled in a bit and things are going well and I'm feeling good. I have started some of the ministries that I will be apart of. The Church (JKK) that I am helping at just started a kids program (day care) that runs from 9-12 on Tuesday-Fridays. Right now it is a little chaotic but our goal is to give kids a head start for school. We have about 20 kids at the moment which are split into 2 group 2-4 year olds and 5-7 year olds. Some of them should be in school but aren't so they come here. The program that we want to run is singing, games, a small school type lesson, a small bible lesson, and a feeding to give them a healthy meal. All the kids come from very poor homes or are squatters. I ask for your prayers for us to figure out how to run this program to it's full potential.

I also ran my first youth night on saturday and about 20 kids showed up so that was very encouraging, (about half are regular attenders of the Church). I feel it went very well. It's a little tough because I don't speak Tagalog (they can understand a fair bit of English, but I can't understand Tagalog). So I ask for you prayers in quickly learning Tagalog.

Also the youth come from a much different background then I do. Most of the people in the Church have been victims of many forms of abuse and I can't relate to them so pray for me to have the right words and the actions when I hear things that beak my heart.

I have also been put in the role of Pastor of Labour, it's either becasue of my rugid good looks or my huge bulging frame. The thing they need was a roof type deal becasue part of the Church is a porch like area. So i put up a retractable roof (a tarp), very similar to the Sky Dome. So my roofing skills are getting put to good use, thank you Brubacher Industrial.

Upcoming things that I need Prayers and financial support for: Christmas Parties, the Filipinos are nuts about Christmas so the Youth Mobilization Team (a branch of International Teams) is putting on 5 parties for 5 different areas, some in the city and some outside. We are targeting the places that were most affected by the Typhoons. I have directed the money that I have raised so far for these parties but we still need more. The money will be used to feed them, buy them hygene products and toys for the kids.

Thank you so much for all the love, prayers and support.

May God Bless each and everyone of you richly.

Jared


3 comments:

  1. Does the new church roof retract back so you can see the stars like the Skydome?
    Ooohhh, I'm so clever.
    All sounds awesome Jared - praying for inspired wisdom for you.
    Peace brah.
    Hill

    ReplyDelete
  2. A rich read combining the incredible facts on your journey, along with relatable humour.

    Jared, you're awesome. Keep it up! We're reading and supporting from here.

    -Lexer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jared! It's Joeie - I'll be seeing you guys SUPER SOON (in three days!)

    Hopefully we'll get to serve together, but it'll just be great to know that there are fellow Canadians in our midst!!

    Haha - pastor of labour eh?...

    SEE YA SOON!

    ReplyDelete